Sound / PulseAudio Test Day Wednesday 2009-09-16 [Fwd]

David Pravec dpravec at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 14:16:47 UTC 2009

So after the excitement of last week's X.org Test Week, we have another
big ticket Test Day coming up on Wednesday: sound Test Day.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-09-16_Audio

We will be doing some broad-based tests to try and make sure that
typical audio use works properly on as wide as possible a range of
hardware in Fedora 12. And yes, the Test Day includes PulseAudio. Here's
your chance to test out whether the current Fedora 12 code and
PulseAudio work properly with your sound card, and complain -
appropriately, of course! - if they don't. As usual, we will be
providing live images for testing, so you'll be able to test without
installing anything permanently or affecting your regular Fedora (or
other operating system!) at all. Testing will be very easy, just a case
of booting the live image and testing a few simple sound-related
operations. Just testing whether sound works at all out of the box will
be very helpful. So please come along on Wednesday and help us test!
Even if you can't make it on Wednesday, it will be very useful if you
can run the tests and provide your feedback in the results table, either
before or after the Test Day happens. The Test Day itself will be taking
place all day in #fedora-test-day on Freenode IRC.

Please note that the wiki page isn't finalized yet; it's obviously
missing the live images (which I haven't yet generated) and the test
cases. These should appear tomorrow, but I wanted to get the word out
about the event as soon as possible.

I'd like to say a big thanks to Lennart for being very positive about
the idea of doing a Test Day, and getting involved with the
organization. He'll be present on IRC for the Test Day, too (his IRC
nickname is 'mezcalero'). Please don't use this as a venue for broad,
unhelpful complaints or flames about PulseAudio: we're genuinely
interested in fixing any specific issues that arise in PA as a result of
the Test Day, but flamewars about its intrinsic value will only clutter
up the channel, annoy everyone involved, and waste time. Thanks!