policy management question

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Sep 21 17:58:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:29:29AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 16:32 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > Recent rawhide updates obsoleted PolicyKit and replaced it with
> > polkit packages.  This change killed 'polkit-action'.
>
> pklocalauthority(8) explains in some detail how to handle overrides with
> the new polkit.

Yes, I have seen that before. 'man polkit' refers to it in "SEE
ALSO" section.  My first reaction was that I can probably figure it
out, after a while and some experimentation, but how to explain over
a phone a desired change to somebody not that handy with assorted
configuration files I have no idea.  Factoring in also possible
selinux makes for even more fun.

Here is another example of something different, but in the same
spirit, which so far I cannot figure out at all.

I got recently a DVD drive, made by LG, which is identified as:
  Vendor: HL-DT-ST  Model: DVDRAM GH22NS50   Rev: TN00
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 05

When this drive is _empty_ then a device shows up with
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_Bluebirds'
and a desktop session mounts it as iso9660 file system on
/media/Bluebirds and the following "files" in it:
autorun.inf
bluebirds.exe
drag&burn.exe
s e t u p.exe

Yes, the last line really has all these blanks (0x20).

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to prevent
DeviceKit from performing such spurious mounts.  We seems to be
dealing with a "firmware goodie" for Windoze users.  Up and
including Fedora 10 there were at least some .fdi policy files so it
appears that there was at least a fighting chance.  Now if there is
a way to prevent DeviceKit from tripping over its own legs so far I
failed to find it.

   Michal