Upgrading to rawhide from F11 by yumex

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 23 17:32:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:35:32 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Right. This is the proper procedure. It's not unusual for there to be
> little dependency issues like the one Antonio posted. As Bruno and
> Martin said, as long as it's only a few packages and they're not
> critical, you can just remove them to make the process complete.

In my case, the stuff I had to remove took about 1000 packages with it
include the x server. That slows things down a bit.

Also when i go through this process, I try to report cases of missing
obsoletes and the like, so that the process might work better for people
doing it after the release.

And I should thank Seth for all of the work with yum. skip_broken keeps
getting better and makes this doable in some cases where it wouldn't be.
Also this time around it seemed easier to find the packages that were the
root cause of the problem than I remember in the past. So that even though
I ended up temporarily removing over 1000 packages, I only need to enter
a handful on the yum erase command, because I could relatively easily
figure out which ones were the trouble makers.