Real mail addresses in list postings and resulting **SPAM**

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 25 13:47:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 02:44:39 -0500,
  Allen Kistler <an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a handy mailer that can create envelopes with values different
> from the body?  Sending mail as root on the command line doesn't count
> as "handy."

I thought gmail did this (allowed other email address while using a gmail
envelope sender address), but I don't have a gmail account to verify that.

It probably depends on what you are using to inject email. If you are using
sendmail and mutt, then you can turn off 'envelope_from' and sendmail
will use the user name and host name to make the envelope sender address
which then could be different than what mutt puts in the from header.
The -f option is used by sendmail (and probably most lookalikes that
provide a sendmail command) to specify an envelop sender address different
than the local user name and host name. I belive it is possible to configure
this so that you need to be special to use the -f option to affect, but
I doubt this is the default any more.