F13-Question: Cannot start a new yum immediately after an old "yum update" ends

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 18:35:28 UTC 2010

On 04/04/2010 12:04 AM, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Whereas you are probably right, at least this is the reason that I
> removed PackageKit. I don't think that it's a reason for revising
> PackageKit. Yum users don't really want or use it anyway so removing it
> is no big deal. I think that its defaults should be left as whats best
> for its functionality

I really don't see it that way.  I use PackageKit frontend and yum
interchangeably.   There are some operations, for example, browsing
through available games which are easier with a gui and some operations,
ex: installing a specific set of packages where I know the exact names
which are easier with yum in the command line.  Using them both without
excluding either should be possible and even desirable.  One of the
common complaints against Pirut was that it was locking out yum for
quite sometime and the one of the key goals with PackageKit was to avoid
doing that.   The current situation is not ideal.

Rahul