F13 Beta Anaconda Screen Selection

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 17:55:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:21 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Mauriat Miranda <mirandam at mjmwired.com> wrote:
> > Testing out F13-Beta-64.  I was puzzled why I could only see my mouse
> > cursor and no Anaconda on the monitor.  Obviously the x-server was
> > loaded.
> >
> > Then I realized that even though my DVI connected TV was powered *off*
> > it was selected as primary screen, instead of my CRT (which was
> > powered on).  So Anaconda was on another screen.
> >
> > In some ways I am happy that dual-head works out of the box (nouveau),
> > but I had to physically unplug my DVI cable before I could get my CRT
> > to be used for installation.
> >
> > My question is:  Is this the correct behavior we want?
> > If so, how could I tell Anaconda to use my CRT as primary?
> >
> > I'm hesitant to call this a bug.
>
> This *is* a bug, so fill it.

I disagree. The driver cannot tell whether a connected display is
powered on or off, and there is no method for choosing which display is
'primary' which will always be correct (why should we choose a
VGA-connected display over a DVI-connected one, or vice versa? There's
no way of knowing which is the 'primary' display in any particular
case).