F13 Beta Anaconda Screen Selection

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:11:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 19:59 +0200, drago01 wrote:
>
>> > I disagree. The driver cannot tell whether a connected display is
>> > powered on or off
>>
>> Depends on the display, most displays are only detectable when they
>> are actually powered on.
>
> That's not the case at all in my experience. Clearly in this case it's
> not true, otherwise it wouldn't know the TV was there at all.

Well the number of broken connector tables is infinite ... my laptop
does detect that a TV is connected even though there is no TV
connector at all (one has to use a docking station to be able to
connect one).

>> >, and there is no method for choosing which display is
>> > 'primary'
>>
>> Sure there is .... xrandr provides a way to choose a primary display,
>> so worst case ask the user, or in case of the install just clone the
>> output.
>
> That's not what I meant. I meant that there's no reliable heuristic for
> knowing which is primary.
>
> Ask the user? How do you pick which display to ask the user on? :)

Both ;) ... but anyway cloning would be the right solution here,
anaconda is limited to 800x600 anyway so there is no need for a
multiscreen view.