F13 Beta Anaconda Screen Selection

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 18:51:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 20:11 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> >> Depends on the display, most displays are only detectable when they
> >> are actually powered on.
> >
> > That's not the case at all in my experience. Clearly in this case it's
> > not true, otherwise it wouldn't know the TV was there at all.
>
> Well the number of broken connector tables is infinite ... my laptop
> does detect that a TV is connected even though there is no TV
> connector at all (one has to use a docking station to be able to
> connect one).

True TV outputs are known to be problematic, yes, but the TV in this
case was connected by DVI, which is far less likely to be broken. In my
experience, drivers usually detect monitors that are connected by
D-SUB/DVI but powered off.

> Both ;) ... but anyway cloning would be the right solution here,
> anaconda is limited to 800x600 anyway so there is no need for a
> multiscreen view.

I agree, but as I said, I already proposed this back in the F12 cycle
and the anaconda developers considered it too messy to implement. By all
means try again, if you like.