bogus images/README file on DVD

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Apr 17 03:20:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 22:58 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I was just trying to figure out how to install from a DVD image
> on a system with only a CD drive, and went looking for the
> boot.iso file I used to be able to boot to access the DVD
> image mounted under a web server in another computer.
>
> I found the images directory and the README file in there
> which describes boot.iso in glowing terms, but there isn't
> a boot.iso file in the image directory (at least not on
> the F13 beta x86_64 dvd).
>
> So how do I do the install these days? Download the netinst
> iso file from the mirrors?

Tom,

One obvious solution to your problem would be to download and burn the
CD images instead of the DVD.

There is a way to interrupt the boot sequence of CD disc1 (the DVD too
for that matter) and select a network/alternative source (NFS, FTP,
HTTP, local hard drive) for the installation ISO image. Unfortunately
the keystroke sequence needed to access that method has pretty much
faded from the documentation. I like to have that DVD ISO image on a
second /dev/sdb1 hard drive partition. It's much faster compared to most
CD/DVD drives.

You're right about boot.iso not being there -- on both i386 and x86_64
beta DVD images. I haven't checked the CD images. It's not needed to
install from DVD, however.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL