Changing stock response re: lack of debugging symbols with ABRT

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 18 17:42:18 UTC 2010

The feedback I got was conflicting...

> I'd say you're mostly on the right track, but I'd rather we explain to
> the reporter how to manually install the correct debug packages (with
> debuginfo-install) to generate a useful traceback for the crash
> (debuginfo-install, then re-generate the crash report in abrt), and ask
> them to report a bug against abrt _as well_. I don't think we want to
> lose the initial crash report.

Well, if the initial stack trace isn't useful for debugging, there
doesn't seem to be much use in keeping it assigned to the crashing
component.  As Mads says:

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:15 +0200, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> I would like to add that as far as I can see the lack of debug symbols
> is usually due to a update of either the binary or the debuginfo,
> causing a situation where debuginfo matching the core is simply not
> available.
>
> So please consider:
> 1. Don't blame abrt so much for the lack of debuginfo (even though they
> should make it more clear why debuginfos was missing - and perhaps
> provide this stock answer automatically).
> 2. Don't push manual installation of debuginfo so hard. It will probably
> be a waste of time and thus demotivating for the reporter. AFAIK it is
> also not simple to create a new ABRT report which uses these debuginfos.

...just running "debuginfo-install" usually doesn't fix the problem.
(ABRT attempts that automatically.)

I adjusted:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/StockBugzillaResponses#No_Debugging_Symbols
again; further discussion is welcome if this is still unsatisfactory.

-B.