New release criterion proposal

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Apr 20 18:28:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 12:02 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:36:00 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > "With the correct install configuration, it should be possible to make
> > an installed system immediately remotely accessible (you should be able
> > to install with a secure remote access service active and unblocked by
> > firewall-type mechanisms)"
>
> How about being remotely installable too? I've tried installing with
> VNC which I was able to setup remotely by making a new grub.conf
> entry for the install, but after I get it installed, the firstboot
> screen comes up on the local console. I've never figured out how
> to make firstboot talk VNC.

The Beta release criteria [1] has several sections to cover remote
installability (kickstart delivery, installation methods etc...).
Having firstboot support remote configuration via VNC out of the box
isn't the intended behavior presently.  It's an interesting concept, but
not something that exists with the install+firstboot experience now.

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Beta_Release_Criteria