'Disk Sleep' Problem

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 17:03:31 UTC 2010

For the last 3-4 days, I have noticed that my system will
intermittently hang and become unresponsive, then run again,
then hang, etc. Sometimes it is just for a bit,
occasionally, it is so bad that the hangs are about 98% of
the time, while running is only 2% or less of the time, so
bad that it takes more than 10 minutes just to get from an X
session to shutting off the computer.

I had a glance at the system activity and I noticed that
some processes had 'disk sleep' next to them. Whenever the
computer began to run, this would change into a %cpu and
whenever the hangs occurred, 'disk sleep' would reappear.

How can I prevent the disks from 'sleeping' when I am using
the computer and why is this happening in the first place?