2010-04-26 @ ** 15:00 UTC ** - Fedora QA meeting recap

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 28 14:28:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 16:52 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>
>> Will leave this as a discussion topic next week.  The open questions for
>> me are ...
>>
>>      1. What are our expectations for proventesters?  Kamil's package
>>         update test plan [1] seems like a great start.  What other
>>         guidance can we give proventesters?  I'd like to avoid saying,
>>         "please just test stuff"
>>      2. How to determine whether someone who is requesting proventesters
>>         membership has the right stuff?  Can we document the criteria
>>         that will be used?  Bugzilla stats (new bugs, traiged bugs),
>>         bodhi karma supplied, mailing list contributions ...
>
> I tend to approach this kind of thing quite liberally; I don't think
> it's worth sweating too hard about rejecting people, usually I consider
> the group as a tool for smoothing out the process if problems appear.
> I'd broadly expect to approve most people who apply, and the group
> membership acts as a check on their work; if we find someone is being
> malicious (or, unlikely, just really bad and not able to improve their
> work), we can always take them out of the group again.
>
> In general I reckon anyone who has the motivation to read the
> instructions through and apply to the group probably is going to be
> amenable to working co-operatively with the rest of the group and
> working in line with whatever procedures we agree, which is all we
> really require.
>
> But that's just my approach, there are others :)
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

I actually agree with your take on this quite a bit, I don't so much
want the group membership prerequisites to be a hindering factor but
more of a path of guidance for new testers to get involved and have a
sense of direction on "where to go from $here" for many values of
$here.

I do however think there should be some level of review for
membership, but I don't generally think people will apply for
proventesters until they've been working on testing the distro for a
while and have a good footing on the generally day to day on goings of
QA so I don't imagine there will ever be an issue where we would have
to turn someone down (or I hope we wouldn't have to).

-AdamM

P.S. - Apologies for missing the meeting, course load is crazy since
the semester is wrapping up

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com