Deltaisos and zsync control files available for 14 Alpha TC1

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 2 22:35:23 UTC 2010

I've made deltaisos from F13 Final to F14 Alpha TC1 available, both as
torrents:

http://thepiratebay.org/user/andre14965/

and direct downloads:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Robatino/Downloads

The disos are almost half of full size, which is typical for Alpha TC1.
 Since my upload speed is only 768 Kb/s, most people should use direct
download.  I split the large direct downloads into 200 MiB parts, due to
the limitations of the file hosting services available (file size,
inability to pause/resume downloads, etc.).  They can be combined with
the cat command.

Both the torrents and direct downloads now include disos from the new
DVD to each of the other new install discs, which are relatively tiny.
The biggest is the one to CD#1, which is typically about 10-11 M.  The
rest are about 50K or less.  This allows getting a complete new install
disc set, if one has the old DVD.  It also means that keeping copies of
all of these going from Fedora (N-1) to Fedora N allows reconstructing
all the intermediate TC/RC install discs later (see
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2241).  I plan to
do this from now on, and encourage other people to do the same (at least
until/unless it starts happening officially).

I will also be providing zsync control files for each of the TCs and RCs
(direct download only).  Zsync uses essentially the same algorithm as
rsync, but puts the load on the client instead of the server.  It is not
currently in Fedora itself but can be installed either by compiling a
source tarball from the developer's website, or from third-party RPMs
and yum repos (see the direct download page for some leads).  Zsync does
not save as much bandwidth as deltaisos (unless one already has most of
the exact RPMs available to run it against) and can't be used for
archiving, but may be faster for people with fast connections (basically
the same people who find that updates are faster when they disable
yum-presto).  The control files themselves are also very small, so I can
upload them quickly despite not having a fast connection.