Partial Success with RC2

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Sun Aug 8 16:50:14 UTC 2010

  On 08/08/2010 08:01 AM, test-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 07:08:02 -0700
> From: Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R<caf at omen.com>
> Subject: Partial Success with RC2
> To: Fedora Test List<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>
>    RC2 with ATI Radeon HD 5670 - Blank screen with either
> default or VESA driver.  What happened to text mode install?
>
> RC2 with ATI 2600 XT (an old card) - successful install.
> Had to add "vga" cheat code to get a display on a CRT.
>
> The current ATI proprietary driver (I want my Cpmpiz!!)
> installs without error messages on both 32 and 64 RC2.
> However the result does not run X windows, and
> removing xorg.conf doesn't allow X to run as desired.
>
> Install did not ask for a user account.  I had to add
> one using a console TTY and groupadd/useradd/passwd.
> Almost a feature, but sure to confuse novices.
>
> -- Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com www.omen.com Developer of
> Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications Omen Technology Inc
> "The High Reliability Software" 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland
> OR 97231 503-614-0430 ------------------------------ Message: 9 Date:
> Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:11:57 +0100 From: Athmane Madjoudj
> <athmanem at gmail.com> Subject: Re: Partial Success with RC2 To: For
> testers of Fedora development releases <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed On 08/08/2010 03:08 PM, Chuck
> Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> >  Install did not ask for a user account.  I had to add
>> >  one using a console TTY and groupadd/useradd/passwd.
>> >  Almost a feature, but sure to confuse novices.
>> >
> AFAIK, it normal behaviour in Text install, it's more server friendly
> than user friendly

The RC2 DVDs did not offer a text install.
I tried adding keyword "text" but that made no difference.
> -- Athmane Madjoudj ------------------------------ Message: 10 Date:
> Sun, 08 Aug 2010 09:23:46 -0500 From: Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net>
> Subject: Re: Partial Success with RC2 To: For testers of Fedora
> development releases <test at lists.fedoraproject.org> Message-ID:
> <1281277426.2101.2.camel at scrappy.miketc.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="UTF-8" On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 07:08 -0700, Chuck Forsberg
> WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> >  RC2 with ATI Radeon HD 5670 - Blank screen with either
>> >  default or VESA driver.  What happened to text mode install?
>> >
> Using the 2nd install option when the GUI starts doesn't work neither?
> Is that what you meant by vesa driver?

What text install?
>> >  The current ATI proprietary driver (I want my Cpmpiz!!)
>> >  installs without error messages on both 32 and 64 RC2.
>> >  However the result does not run X windows, and
>> >  removing xorg.conf doesn't allow X to run as desired.
> Try installing the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental packages as that might
> allow you to use compiz instead of the prop driver. Might try removing
> the ati prop driver first as well.

I had to fresh install RC2 after installing the ATI driver because
removing xorg.conf wasn't enough for X to work.

Compiz would not work with the dri experimental driver:

caf at omen3 ~]$ compiz --replace
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
[caf at omen3 ~]$

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com