Release criteria proposal: boot to console

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 02:19:30 UTC 2010

Hi, folks. Quite a lot of release criteria proposals came out of today's
go/no-go meeting. I'll propose them formally for discussion and addition
to the official criteria here.

First off, we are missing criteria for booting to *console* rather than
graphical desktop. This is important for e.g. minimal installs.

Proposal: two criteria. Alpha:

"When booting a system installed without a graphical environment, or
when using a correct configuration setting to cause an installed system
to boot in non-graphical mode, the system should boot to a state where
it is possible to log in through at least one of the default virtual
consoles."

Beta:

"When booting a system installed without a graphical environment, or
when using a correct configuration setting to cause an installed system
to boot in non-graphical mode, the system should provide a working login
prompt without any user intervention (aside from the firstboot utility)
when boot is complete, and all virtual consoles intended to provide a
working login prompt should do so."

These read a bit icky to me, clarification / rephrasing would be
welcome. The key point here is that it was quite widely agreed at the
go/no-go meeting that we should *not* block an Alpha release if tty1
doesn't work, as long as one of the other ttys works fine so you can log
in properly just by doing ctrl-alt-f2 or whatever.