QA:Testcase Memtest86

He Rui rhe at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 09:20:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 04:42 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> ----- "He Rui" <rhe at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I don't intend to cover all the memtest features, but think we should
> > at
> > least check if there's a test result shown to reflect the test,
> > that's
> > the main goal to run a memtest.
> >

> Ok, I have waited for the whole test cycle to complete (10 minutes on my
> machine). It really prints "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit"
> message. But - there is no report per se, the counter is just updated
> (Pass +1). And it doesn't mean your RAM is ok. I have used memtest for
> years and checked a lot of faulty hardware with it. From my experience
> you need at least 2 hours of memtest checking to be quite reasonable sure
> your RAM is ok. 4 - 8 hours are better. That's also the reason why it
> continues over and over again.
>
> Also, if some error is found, you don't have to wait to the end of the
> test cycle. It is printed right away.
>
> The message printed after one pass is complete is really not a test result.
> It's just a message how to exit the test. The test results are updated
> continuously - the screen is blue, you're good, the screen is red, you're
> not good. The longer you wait (measured in hours) the more trust you have
> in your hardware. So maybe that's the main misconception between us?

Yes. I thought whether the memory test was passed or not depended on the
report "Pass complete, no errors,..." and I never met any failed one. So
if the error is printed right away, then this result is not that
important and running a few moments is reasonable. Thanks for clarifying
this.

Hurry

--
Contacts