Not Authorized (can't mount USB flash drive as normal user)

TK009 john.brown009 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 19:57:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Steven I Usdansky
<usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> LXDE spin alpha RC4 x86_64.
> Boot into runlevel 3 as normal user
> Run startx to start an LXDE session
> Plug in USB flash drive - file manager appears
> Click on flash drive's entry to mount
> Error dialog appears with msg: Not Authorized
>
> How to fix?
>

> --

In the file
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf

Section
<!-- Only allow users at the local console to manipulate devices -->
  <policy at_console="true">

I expect to see this for UBS function.
	<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage"/>
    	<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.Removable"/>

I an not sure if one or the other or both are needed. It is just what
I see on my gnome box atm.

That is the first place I look when I see that message. I hope this helps.