Where is runlevel 5?

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 26 13:47:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:02:45PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 21:18 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> >
>> > http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/oss-happens.html
>> >
>> > Another example of the Vogon effect :-).
>>
>> No, not really. It's not the Vogon effect. This is a very public,
>> very open project; the use of systemd has been discussed
>> extensively on this list, and on -test list, and is listed in the
>> Alpha release notes - it's the very first item under 'what's new'
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Alpha_release_notes#Better_System_and_Session_Management
>> - and the Alpha release announcement -
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Alpha_release_announcement -
>> again it's the first item.
>
> OK, let's try this "first item" in its entirety.
>
>  Fedora 14 introduces systemd, a smarter, more efficient way of
>  starting up and managing background daemons and services. It is
>  a drop-in replacement for sysvinit and upstart, maintaining
>  compatibility with SysV and LSB init scripts.
>
> Ahem!  So far AFAICT "smarter, more efficient" are quite far from
> being demonstrated,  "drop-in" is debatable and "maintaining
> compatibility" in the curent state it certainly is not. So where
> this leaves us?  Searching bugzilla for systemd and reading through
> search results can be an enlightening experience.
<SNIP>

Oh, I'm sorry ... did you miss the Alpha tag on the ISO you
downloaded? Did you not see Anaconda pop up a warning to let you know
that this is not a stable or completed release?

I understand everyone's frustrations, but in reality there are always
going to be growing pains when new tech is introduced, especially such
drastic changes as ripping and replacing the init system. We as a
community, especially as a QA community, should understand that by now
and trust in the developers who are working so hard to make these
innovations. Those of us on this mailing list spend time testing
Fedora and we should provide *constructive* feedback, triage bugs, and
all around try our hardest to help make sure Fedora is the best it can
be in any way we can. There *are* going to be bugs, that's just part
of the territory of writing software.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com