Display issues running FC14a3 under KVM

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Aug 27 16:33:14 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 15:59 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I booted the Live-CD under KVM and after a bit of minor testing did an
>> install from that, using the "install" off the default user home page.
>> The system boots and runs, but I get odd display warnings.
>>
>> At startup I get a warn of using a 1x1 window (and being smart enough
>> to not do it),
>
> This is known.
>
>> then when I install and try to run system-config-display I get an
>> error in the running of the package.
>
> This isn't particularly surprising, as no-one wants to maintain it any
> more.

Fine, since there is no other way to get a "display" entry in the
"Administration" menu, does that mean if the system makes totally inappropriate
choices on video I should go to another distribution, or is there some secret
way (ie. not available on the admin menu) to get a reasonable display setting?

And while I'm at it, why can the installer use a reasonable video mode but the
OS boot doesn't? Your typical user isn't going to boot in single user, create an
Xorg.conf file, and edit it to sanity with vi.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>