Interesting New results with F14 ALpha

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 28 16:11:26 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:55:59 -0400,
  Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:34:40 -0500
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > My /home is a separate
> > encrypted partition on the machines I have seen the problem on.
>
> I just have one partition at the moment and no encryption
> going on, so that is a difference.

It looks like it is probably related to the dbus service. I had been mostly
been trying stuff on my work machine yesterday and the one here was a bit
different. The prefdm service still wasn't starting even in maintenance
mode. I ran gdm directly as otherwise the error was sent to /dev/null.
It complained about dbus. I started the dbus service and then I was able to
start the prefdm service.

So I am back to not knowing if something got stuffed up locally due to
upgrading and down grading or if there is an actual problem with the
default setup not making sure dbus was up before trying to start prefdm.