Release criteria proposal: automated bug checking tools functionality

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 12:25:50 UTC 2010

> I'd like to propose the following two criteria:
>
> * Automated bug handling tools intended to be present in each build
> should be present and functional to the point of generating valid
> error reports and storing them. (Alpha)
>
> * Automated bug handling tools present in each build must be able to
> generate valid bug reports and report them to the appropriate bug
> tracking tool. (Beta)
>
> I don't think we need Alpha to ship with reporting capabilities
> intact,
> it's something we can fix post-Alpha release and not lose much, since
> people will be able to submit stored reports once the bug is fixed. Or
> is this again too complex and we should just go with the more
> stringent requirement at Alpha stage?

Apologies for the delay.  I like the above proposed additions, and their
recommended milestone.

I was about to suggest combining the first criteria with the existing
Alpha criteria "The installer must be able to report failures to
Bugzilla, with appropriate information included".  I like combining them
from a KISS standpoint.  However, I think there is value in requiring
that the installer be able to submit bug reports directly into bugzilla
for the Alpha, and all subsequent milestones.  That's the first contact
most testers will have with Fedora, and to me, it's tremendously
valuable to have it as easy as possible to receive good bug reports
(including failure logs etc...).  In summary: In addition to your
proposed Alpha addition, keep the existing Alpha installer bug reporting
criteria as well.

I tweaked the Alpha criteria slightly to add a bit more detail around
expectations.  Thoughts?

> > * Automated bug handling tools intended to be present in each build
> > must be able to detect, notify the user and generate valid error
> > reports for manual submission to the appropriate bug tracking tool.
> > (Alpha)

Thanks,
James