Tried to install F14 Alpha in QEMU on F13; hang during boot

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 15:50:44 UTC 2010

On 08/29/2010 02:16 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> I am eager to play with systemd, so I tried to install F14 Alpha x86_64
> on a QEMU virtual machine.  The host is my Dell Latitude D620 running
> F13 x86_64, fully updated with updates-testing enabled.  I started the
> VM with this command (f14.qcow2 is a blank 4GiB disk image created with
> qemu-img):
>
> qemu-kvm -hda f14.qcow2 -cdrom Fedora-14-Alpha-x86_64-DVD.iso

You may also want to consider using virt-install (command line) or
virt-manager (gui) for creating new VMs, since those are also Fedora
packages that attempt to make this easier.

On 08/30/2010 09:35 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
 >>> This is unlikely to work. I suggest to append "-m 512" to the start-up
 >>> options in order to enable 512 MB of system memory. QEMU default value
 >>> is 128 MB of system memory.
 >> That was the problem.  Thanks.
 >>
 > Hum if this is a case perhaps it's best to file a bug report and ask for
 > the default value to be increased to 512 MB

I know that virt-manager has a 512MB default, but am not sure whether
virt-install has the same default as qemu, or whether this warrants a
bug report for both qemu and virt-install.