Tried to install F14 Alpha in QEMU on F13; hang during boot

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 16:14:16 UTC 2010

On Monday 30 of August 2010 17:35:24 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>   On 08/30/2010 03:38 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> >>
> >> This is unlikely to work. I suggest to append "-m 512" to
> >> the start-up options in order to enable 512 MB of system
> >> memory. QEMU default value is 128 MB of system memory.
> >
> > That was the problem.  Thanks.
>
> Hum if this is a case perhaps it's best to file a bug report
> and ask for the default value to be increased to 512 MB

not sure if it is a good idea - if you forget to specify the
amount, the case of virtual machine not running due to not enough
memory seems to me a bit better than the case of your physical
hardware thrashing and OOM killer firing processes just because
QEMU ate the last free bits ...

once upon a time, a bugreport (RFE) existed for the installer to
show a big fat warning about not enough memory, which would lead
the user to check the virtual machine settings in this case ...
wonder where it disappeared, can't find it right now :-(

K.

--
Karel Volný
QE BaseOs/Daemons Team