Installing fedora while running fedora?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Dec 3 01:51:10 UTC 2010

2010/12/3 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com>

> 2010/12/3 Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au>:
> > Using a liveCD I can install fedora on my system while running the
> LiveCD.
> >
> > Can you do the same thing just running vanilla Fedora?  This would be a
> > really useful feature, but I'm not seeing any information on how to do
> it. <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/test>
>

> preupgrade?

I'm aware of preupgrade, but that's for upgrading the system you're
currently running.

I want to be able to do something like this:

I'm running Fedora12 as a MythTV system and would like to be able to install
Fedora14 onto separate (unused) partitions while I'm running F12 (to
minimize downtime).  Since this is effectively the same thing as running a
LiveCD and installing to the HDD, I'm wondering if I can do this.

I've done some more searching and wonder whether anaconda can be run with
some command line options to point at the ISO with F14 but still aren't sure
this is possible.

It would be a great feature in f15 if you could insert the DVD (or CDs) into
your running system and then run something that allowed you to install
Fedora elsewhere without having to sit looking at your system while the
installer runs.

Rodd