call for tests

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Dec 3 20:07:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:46 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I think you may have stated this already, which of the manual
> > installation validation storage tests [1] are now automated using your
> > unittests?
>
> Under "Install Variations & General Tests", all the Partitioning area
> except for QA:Testcase_Anaconda_autopart_(shrink)_install is now
> automated.  I additionally have some more complicated ones.
>
> > I think bcl (or pjones) mentioned creating a iSCSI test case where we
> > start an iSCSI target on the virt host, and include iSCSI initiator
> > information in the kickstart.  Might be fun, but I likely not in the
> > category "easy".
>
> This is absolutely doable, though not exactly easy.  Is this
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_ISCSI_No_Authentication?
> I'm sure an authentication test could be done as well.

Yeah, I leave out authentication from the test plan, mainly since no one
has asked for it yet.  If anyone else is interested in helping to do
iSCSI install tests, I'll be happy to pull more cases from the iSCSI
test plan mganisin drafted a while back
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:ISCSI_Installation_Test_plan).

> > With regards to different devices, is there any value in testing
> > different qemu storage drivers (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB)?
>
> Hard to say.  It's part of the test matrix so there is some value there,
> but I don't know how much difference it truly makes as far as anaconda
> is concerned.

One thing I look for with different storage devices is that they display
differently in the anaconda UI.  Likely not something we can test with
your framework.  But another thing we could test is max partition stuff?
Like ... testing the max (and max+1) supported primary and extended
partitions on IDE and SCSI drives.  That's getting really nit-picky, but
still a good test to have in the mix.

Thanks,
James