Bugzappers EOL process and abrt bug reporters being flagged with needinfo before bugs are closed?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 18:11:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 01:30 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 10:06:03 +1000, Brendan wrote:
>

> > On 12/04/2010 02:15 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > > Where do reporters opt out from this process?
> >
> > Is it really so bad? This gentle reminder simply gives the reporter the
> > opportunity to let us know whether the unclosed bug is still present in
> > a later release. I think this info is very useful for the maintainers
> > and bugzappers. Once every 6 months...
>
> Too many tickets, too many reminders. After six months, the reporter maybe
> doesn't even work on the same software anymore.

'I don't use this any more, so let's leave it closed'. Takes three
seconds.

> And cannot allocate the
> time to review all these old tickets.

They don't have to. If you filed a bug that you can't follow up on any
more, in the general case, you can just say so, and close it. In this
case, you don't have to lift a finger, because the bug will get
automatically closed soon anyway. That's what the needinfo is telling
you.

> For issues that persist, a different user will [need to] open a new
> ticket. And who will pay attention and notice that it's the same issue
> that was closed WONTFIX N*6 months ago?

No, they won't. All they have to do is update the 'version' field on the
bug to a currently supported release, and then it won't get closed.
That's why we send out the needinfo in the first place: to alert the
reporter to this.