Bugzappers EOL process and abrt bug reporters being flagged with needinfo before bugs are closed?

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 20:05:05 UTC 2010

On 09:46:18 pm Monday, December 06, 2010 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> > They don't have to. If you filed a bug that you can't follow up on any
> > more, in the general case, you can just say so, and close it. In this
> > case, you don't have to lift a finger, because the bug will get
> > automatically closed soon anyway. That's what the needinfo is telling
> > you.
>
> Changing bug status to NEEDINFO from reporter should only be done when
> information contained within the bug is incomplete, and additional
> information from the original submitter is required to confirm the bug
> so could the bug zappers please stop misusing the NEEDINFO flag like
> this and just comment whatever information they want the reporter to
> know on the bug report as it should be...

But this is exactly what we need to be tested - whether the bug is still
present with the latest Fedora release.
 "If you would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version."
Usually there are more than plenty of changes in a Fedora release to make the
bug needs retesting. Even if only a few of the underlying libraries have
changed this may change the info provided so drammatically that the maintainer
will be able to fix it or get better understanding of the problem. Not to
mention that a big number of the bugs are reproducible only in certain
circumstances (given dependencies installed, using some feature in a very
specific manner or specific services) resulting in maintainer not being able to
reproduce.
Needinfo flag is used absolutely on purpose because we need someone to verify
the bug is still reproducible. In my book the maintainer must fix the bug but
the reporter must test when there are enough changes that the bug may be
closed and new Fedora release (actually 2 of them) is more than enough of a
reason that the bug may have changed it's status.

Alex