Users are supposed to test latest F14 mdadm update?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sun Dec 12 19:07:16 UTC 2010

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 17:31:58 +0000, Adam wrote:
>
>> What Dennis is suggesting is that this section of the update
>> notification text should have been removed before the update was pushed
>> from updates-testing to stable, which is a reasonable suggestion.
>
> I'm interested in the "why" not the "what". IMO, every detail about what
> sort of testing an update has seen, what tests are considered most
> relevant, and what might break, is added value. To remove such details from
> the stable update description would be stupid. If I wanted to run such tests
> prior to applying the stable update, where would I find the details? Hopefully
> the answer is not "too late, the test-update has been your only opportunity".
>
> The Update Details could have been phrased better, though. To not create
> any confusion at all, and to not raise doubts about the stability of the
> update.

That sums it up pretty well I think. The best solution would probably be to
have these testing procedures separate from the regular release notes but
as Adam pointed out this might not be possible.
Maybe they could be put under a "Important information for
developers/testers:" headline so it is clear that this information can be
ignored but regular users.

Regards,
   Dennis