Karma?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Dec 17 23:45:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:09:11 +1000
Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I -1 a package either pulled from bodhi or when it hits
> updates-testing, it does not stop it from getting pushed to stable

Correct. Not by itself.

> Perhaps I am not understanding the test system correctly. Am I right
> in assuming that us testers are really there for comments and the
> maintainer can just push whatever to stable regardless of karma
> obtained in -testing or otherwise?

Yes, they can, but in practice It seldom happens except for packages
like the kernel.

> Maybe I've got it wrong?
>
> Two examples - are onboard and sunbird. I can understand sunbird -
> I'd push a buggy sunbird to fix thunderbird.

There may be a variety of reasons:

* The -1 is for some unrelated behavior thats not really a bug or
  regression.
* The regression is less severe than the reason for the update. (ie,
  security update for a remote exploit that disables some little used
  functionality).
* The -1 is for something that never worked, nor was expected to be
  addressed by the update (the kernel updates see this all the time,
  ie, "my foobar hardware didn't work before, and it still doesn't")
* Bodhi is going to soon be wiping out karma when builds are removed or
  added, but it doesn't currently, so you might see -1 votes from an
  old update.

If there's some maintainer that is ignoring feedback and pushing things
they shouldn't be, please bring the matter to fesco's attention.

kevin