2010-12-20 - Fedora QA meeting recap

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 00:03:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 16:42 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 16:38:57 -0500,
>   James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
> >      4. Check-in with Bruno on upstream investigation into bugzilla
> >         nested query search
> >               * Will need to contact bruno offline
>
> I have made notes on my progress with this on my Fedora user page, right above
> the examples I made for test queries.
>
> It looks like I can't do it entirely with extension hooks, but can probably
> do it with add ons for Postgres at least. I need to understand a bit more
> about the right way to add new tables.
>
> I want to do three things. View support so that views can be used instead of
> tables. This seems to be the best way to support this feature in line with
> the current support structure.
>
> Use a view using WITH RECURSIVE to support making a view of the dependencies
> table with indirect dependencies. This is ANSI standard SQL and is supported
> be at least recent versions of Postgresql. (Starting at 8.4 I think.)
>
> Add a new comparision operator that converts a regex list to bug id list
> by matching the expresions against the alias attribute and then match if
> any bug id matches. I was going to implement this with a sub select. The
> subselect is ANSI standard and is supported by all supported versions of
> Postgresql. I believe there is a function call to do regex matches that
> returns something appropriate for each database.
>
> I am off work the 24th through the 2nd and should be able to spend some solid
> blocks of time working on this during that period.

Woah, this is crazy stuff! :)  Is this stuff you think upstream bugzilla
would be keen on, or is this something you'd be looking to get access to
the bugzilla.redhat.com database for?  Does upstream bugzilla have any
recommendations for doing a query which follows the blocks/dependson
relationship?

Thanks!
James