F14 cpuspeed / ondemand broken?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Dec 24 05:59:04 UTC 2010

I've been trying to nut out an issue with cpuspeed on a Fedora14 box...

It seems when cpuspeed is started, it clocks the frequency back to the
lowest available (350Mhz in my case), and there it stays.

If I do something to create CPU load ( while true; do true; done ) then
the CPU fails to be clocked back up to max frequency. In fact, no matter
what I do on that box the CPU doesn't move from 350Mhz...

To get the system back to 2.8Ghz I need to rmmod the p4-clockmod module.

I thought this might have been something silly with the thresholds so I
set UP_THRESHOLD and DOWN_THRESHOLD manually in /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed
- however then when starting cpuspeed I see:

# /etc/init.d/cpuspeed restart
Disabling performance cpu frequency scaling:               [  OK  ]
/etc/init.d/cpuspeed: line 86:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold: No such file
or directory
/etc/init.d/cpuspeed: line 86:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold: No such file
or directory
Enabling ondemand cpu frequency scaling:                   [  OK  ]

Kernel version is:
# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686
(mockbuild at x86-16.phx2.fedoraproject.org) (gcc version 4.5.1 20100924
(Red Hat 4.5.1-4) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Mon Oct 18 23:56:17 UTC 2010

Anyone have any ideas on this? :\

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au