[HEADS-UP] PostgreSQL 9.0.2 now in rawhide

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 23:29:27 UTC 2010

2010/12/29 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 07:36:35PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I have pushed PostgreSQL 9.0.2 into rawhide, replacing the 8.4.x release
>> series.
>>
>> As is usual with PostgreSQL major version updates, 9.0.x won't read
>> 8.4.x's database files.  However, this time around there is an option
>> to not have to dump and reload your database: you can try pg_upgrade
>> instead.  The details are in
>> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-9.0.2/README.rpm-dist
>> but the short form is: install postgresql-upgrade and run
>> "service postgresql upgrade".
>>
>> This isn't terribly well tested, so if you're running critical data
>> on rawhide (you aren't, are you?) a traditional-form backup would be
>> a good thing to make first.
>>
>> Please let me know of either successful or unsuccessful upgrades.
>>
> Yay!  Glad to see you and the other upstream guys got this implemented.
>
> I know some people were talking about making systemd unit files for
> a significant subset of services one of the features for F15.  I do not,
> however, see a Feature page (even an incomplete Feature page) for that yet.
>
> Would someone who is working on that care to say if that's still an idea for
> F15?  If it goes through, we'll want to document what service postgresql
> upgrade does for people to run (or turn it into a /usr/bin/ script) since
> we'll be moving away from the sysvinit script.
>
> (Also, we should either make a new Feature page for porting services to unit
> files or we should make explicit that we're undertaking that task if that's
> the plan for F15).

Agree. Care to create such feature page?

Here is a status page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Systemd/compatability

Also would be cool to know minimal list of services that needs to be
enabled in system (there was already a discussion about this).

> -Toshio
>
> --

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my fscking awesome Black Hole Generator