development directory additions

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Feb 14 20:41:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 08:25 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 10:04 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Yesterday two new subdirectories, ./13 and ./rawhide, appeared
> > in /pub/fedora/linux/development directory on
> > download.fedora.redhat.com. At first glance each of these seem to have
> > pretty much the same contents as the original development directory.
> > Such redundancy would make little sense unless it indicates the
> > beginning of two new forks. Can someone share the plan details with
> > us?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal and
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Implementation
>
> See also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan
>
> We've been talking about this for over 6 months.

Jesse,

Thanks. Now that I know what to search for, I found John Poelstra's
three e-mails to this list on Nov 19, Feb 10, and Feb 12. They mention
that new wiki pages are needed to explain the details. As far as I can
tell, those pages still being written.

So let me speculate:

        ./development/13
        is the F13 alpha, beta, and rc tree. It will ultimately be moved
        to ./releases/13.

        ./development/rawhide
        will become the new ./development tree for packages destined for
        F14 and beyond.

        ./development/i386
        ./development/ppc
        ./development/ppc64
        ./development/source
        ./development/x86_64
        are deprecated and will (soon?) be deleted.

        At the appropriate time, ./development/rawhide will be copied
        to ./development/14 and the cycle will repeat.

--Doc