Broken dependencies: Fedora 13 development - 2010-02-19

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:17:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:24:52 -0800, Jesse wrote:

> > * With repoclosure output, there is no mapping from "broken dep to bodhi
> > ticket". Implementing such a mapping would not be trivial. And a different
> > strategy of finding dep breakage would duplicate some of what Will Woods
> > is working on.
>
> Hrm, I hadn't thought about multipackage updates, but single package
> updates can just be referenced by srpm n-v-r, eg:
>
> $ bodhi -k +1 --comment "Installed and X still works"
> xorg-x11-server-1.7.99.901-5.20100215.fc13

Guess what Extras repoclosure (= the forked repoclosure from Fedora Extras
era) does. It prints the src.rpm (and the "related" library packages like
mash does it) already, but this is insufficient for submitting automated
bodhi comments.

The package that suffers from unresolvable dependencies is not always the
update that breaks something. For the most common form of dep breakage
it is necessary to find the culprit. [That can be anything from a
SONAME change to a missing/bad Obsoletes or a forgotton rebuild.]