F13 Alpha RC1

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 02:03:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 14:00 +0800, He Rui wrote:

> > It's been quite a long time since I used the basic video kind of install,
> > and I don't remember that far back, but seems like it should give me a
> > lot more control over partitioning, like the X-install does.  Am I
> > missing some switches that would get me into more detailed control over
> > partitioning in the basic video system?

> Hi Jim,
>
> If you do a graphical install, checking 'Review and modify partitioning
> layout' at very below of the partitioning page can get you into more
> detailed partitioning info. But you cannot review it if using a text
> install.

Just to expand on that, you (Jim) seem to be confusing 'basic video' and
'text' install. The basic video install is just the graphical installer,
using the 'vesa' driver rather than the native driver for the system's
graphics adapter. Except for the choice of graphics driver, it's exactly
the same as a 'regular' install.

The text mode installer is an entirely different path in anaconda which
was heavily simplified a couple of releases ago, hence the lack of
control you noticed.