Report for Fedora 13 Alpha RC4 LiveCD

Tommy He tommy.he at linux.com
Sun Feb 28 11:21:54 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I just give a try for the Fedora 13 Alpha RC4 LiveCD, both GNOME and KDE
i686 spins. I tested them on Asus F9Dc (Smolt:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_14928b57-c5ee-4156-a3c2-f120b37959eb).

There is no driver problem detected. All the devices work fine, including
Nouveau KMS, Fingerprint Scanner, Logtiech C200 Webcam and Atheros 5007
wireless card.

For the part of GNOME spin, I am happy to see that the OpenOffice.org 3.2
was installed by default and the gThumb was replaced by Shotwell 0.4.3. It
would be better to see the coming Shotwell 0.5 presents in the final release
or following updates. However, the required Vala 0.7.10 seems to be
unavailable in any repos currently.

For the part of KDE spin, I have to say it's the first time I have a Fedora
KDE spin delivers completely KDE4 experience. KNetworkManager, KOffice 2.0,
K3b KDE4 port. No more gtk or kde3 stuff in systray nor lib. KDE fans will
love it.

For both spins, I noticed a significant oversize for a single CD though It
is not a big deal for the ones who just use them as LiveUSB.

I am going to go through some test profiles after finishing the coursework.
:-)

Kind regards,

Tommy He

--