F14 already...

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Feb 28 17:20:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:29:01 +0100,
  Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:
> BTW: Is it not too soon to call it Fedora 14? Would it not be better to
> use at least in /etc/issue something like Rawhide or Fedora 13.90? I know
> of a newbie users reporting me problems with Fedora in past - they enabled
> the rawhide repo and were happily using Fedora <stable>+1. Now I can
> imagine users comming and reporting even Fedora <stable>+2 issues, while
> even <stable>+1 is not released.

It makes more sense to call it F14 than F13.90 because that is what it is, even
if in a prerelease state. I prefer over 'rawhide' as its slightly more precise
in case it's near switchover and someone might be pulling from mirrors that
haven't switched yet. Sticking the string 'rawhide' in there somewhere might be
a good idea. But I noticed that updates don't replace /etc/issue by default.
You get an rpmnew file, so changing the text that isn't grabbed externally
(using \ codes) probably won't happen in the cases where people might be
confused.