Fedora install support for netbooks -- small screen size

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 6 16:15:26 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 10:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:24 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I am doing another FC12 install on my ASUS 701ee.  This is a test
>> system, and I end up installing every month or so.
>>
>> Of course with the small screen size, I end up pressing<cntl-N>  a lot,
>> as I cannot see the Next button.  And on some screens I just miss some
>> options, like getting to customize the install packages.  I am always
>> forgetting the key combo to turn that check box on.
>>
>> Is there some way to either get the ability to pan the screen around or
>> scroll the screen so that on Netbooks that SHOULD be a popular install
>> platform for Fedora, can have workable installation?
>>
> To be fair, the installer _is_ workable on almost all netbooks. The 701
> has an extremely small low-resolution screen. No-one makes netbooks that
> small any more, not even Asus. Probably scrollbars on anaconda could
> work around this, but that may not be simple to implement.

OK.  I only have experience with this 701 that I picked up on ebay.  And
I am even using an 8Gb SD card in the SD slot to have enough disk space
to run FC12 on it (it came with a 4Gb SSD drive).

There are other small screen devices that will be coming out and
scrolling and panning would be nice to have.