Fedora install support for netbooks -- small screen size

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 08:36:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 11:11 -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:
>
>> I had a rant on the list about  an equivalent issue a few months ago.
>> As far as I'm concerned either developers should never assume fixed
>> window sizes, or
>> something/somewhere should auto-enable scroll bars if the requested
>> window can't fit on
>> the provided screen size.  I think this would be easier to implement
>> than auto-enabled vitrtual screen sizes.
>
> So that 64x64 screen on your cell phone should be a reasonable target
> then, yes?

No, but then there's a lot of smart phones/mids/media players moving
to the 800x480 res screens with 1Ghz+ processors now and while I see
other alternatives rather than doing a traditional install on these
sort of devices (liveinst from a livecd? dd of an image directly?
something else I've missed entirely) I wouldn't rule out a massive
amount of devices running at that res. I have a O2 Joggler which is a
800x480 touch screen atom based device with a EFI BIOS so can easily
run Fedora. While that res has (thankfully) disappeared from netbooks
its certainly not about to disappear any time soon.

Peter