Freezing at login

Michael Breuer mbreuer at majjas.com
Tue Jan 19 00:22:52 UTC 2010

On 1/18/2010 7:18 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Michael Breuer ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on
> 19/01/2010 01:10:

>>> no Nvidia, it is a Intel chip
>>>

>> Just for fun, try switching to kde - or even xdm just to rule out
>> gnome/gdm. Also, have you checked your log files (Xorg, gdm, system, etc.)?
>>
> before going to sleep, one last question: how do I switch to kde?? Test
> will continue tomorrow morning. Good night

/etc/sysconfig/desktop - DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE [or GNOME or XDM]
then telinit 5

If you're having issues getting back to a console, you can boot to
runlevel 3, then change config files, then telinit 3 && sleep 120 &&
telinit 5

If things work, you can chvt back to the console and control c to stay
in runlevel 5. Else, you'll be somewhat gracefully returned to a text
console (unless something hangs).