Broken dependencies with Fedora 13 + updates-testing - 2010-07-02

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:55:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 05:49:22PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 21:29 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

>> >Just to note that the maintainer did actually submit an update for this,
>> >but it doesn't seem to have been pushed yet, for no apparent reason.
>> >I've asked releng about this.
>>
>> Reason:  I started the push last Friday.  If failed, for the same reason it
>> failed Thursday, which is due to a bug in bodhi that allows obsoleted critpath
>> updates to get pushed to stable.  I told the bodhi owner about it.  Then, I
>> left for the weekend due to the major holiday in the United States.
>
>Thanks.
>
>> Is that apparent enough for you?
>
>Now it is, yes. An apparent reason is one that can be found. Prior to
>the sending of this mail, the reason was not listed anywhere and hence
>was, indeed, not apparent. =)

Your tone sucks.  "No apparent reason" translates to "everything is working
fine but it still hasn't been pushed".  Things weren't working fine, and the
owner of the code was notified.  What you really meant was "I don't know why
it hasn't been pushed."

Someone could just as well say "There are hundreds of updates in Bodhi that
have no QA feedback on them for no apparent reason."

>It always seems a bit unfortunate when lots of stuff shuts down whenever
>it's a public holiday in the U.S. It's a bit of a dead giveaway that a
>lot of stuff is still performed only by Red Hat staff working in the
>U.S. Obviously that's not your problem, just an observation. I'd love it

I'm not a Red Hat employee.  I do live in the US though.

>if there were a community member in Indonesia, or something, pushing
>updates when it's 4am on a long weekend in the U.S. (I have not checked
>if the timezones in my wild-ass conjecture actually work out :>). It'd
>just give me warm community fuzzies.

Yes, it's time for someone else to push updates.

josh