flash player 64bit?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Wed Jul 7 15:04:41 UTC 2010

  On 7/7/2010 10:44 AM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Not true. Just because YOU can't reproduce it doesn't mean it isn't
> happening. Others have reproduced the problem and also commented as such
> on the bug report.
Whether or not other commenters on the bug have reproduced the problem
is mostly irrelevant.

What is relevant is whether or not bug triagers and/or the maintainer of
nspluginwrapper have been able to reproduce it.

If they haven't, then the bare fact that other people can is useless to
them. With the volume of bugs that come into the system, it is
unreasonable to expect triagers and/or package maintainers to spend time
playing around trying to find the conditions that reproduce a bug when
they've been given little or no information whatsoever about said
conditions from the people reporting it.

The most common reason why a bug doesn't go anywhere in bugzilla is
because the triagers and package maintainer can't reproduce it. This is
not a condemnation or criticism; it is just plain fact.
> ...but I suppose that if you had bothered to go actually read the bug
> report, you would have known that.
I did "go actually read the bug report." There's no reason to be snarky.
There is nothing in the report that provides the triagers and package
maintainer with enough information for them to be able to figure out how
to reproduce the issue, if they are unable to reproduce it out-of-the-box.
> So, please list out your system configuration as relevant to this area
> of function. Perhaps you have somehow stumbled into a workable
> work-around configuration.
I have nothing out of the ordinary on my system. I'm running x86_64 F13
with updates and updates-testing enabled, and I have followed exactly
the instructions on the Wiki for wrapping the 32-bit Flash plugin with
nspluginwrapper.

If you want people to fix a bug that is affecting you but they can't
reproduce, then it is incumbent upon /you/, not /them/, to do the work
to figure out what's different about your system. TANSTAAFL.

Note that this bug does not show up on the most frequently reported bugs
<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/duplicates.cgi> list, which one would
expect it to do if it were a widespread problem, given how prevalent
Flash is on the Web nowadays. Furthermore, I scanned all the
nspluginwrapper bugs going back almost a year and a half and did not
find any other reports of this issue.

   jik