/media directory weirdness

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 8 04:55:46 UTC 2010

On 07/07/2010 09:22 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm using a Seagate USB hard drive which is divided into 3 partitions, 2
> ext3 and one NTFS. There is new very weird behavior when it comes to
> directories in the /media folder.
>
> The partition names are:
> Ankur_backup, Stuff, NTFS Temp
>
> at times when I plug in my external HDD, the /media dir has
>
> Ankur_backup, Stuff, NTFS Temp (all empty)
>
> AND
>
> Ankur_backup_ , Stuff_ , NTFS Temp_ ( with the files in them)
I am observing this behavior as well, not only with usb-sticks/HDDs but
with CD/DVDs, also.

> Is this a known issue? I *always* safely remove the HDD. The trouble is
> that I can't exactly reproduce what causes these bogus folders to stay.
I had observed the same behavior on F12, where I suspected it to be
related to "using command-line eject" and where "safely remove" seems to
have been a mostly functional work-around.

On FC13, things seem to be different, ... even with "safely remove", I
am observing these "*_" folders.

> Any help/pointers would be appreciated. At the moment, I manually remove
> the empty folders if I see them, and then plug in my HDD.
Did you bugzilla it?

Ralf