/media directory weirdness

Mika Kuusela mku at lists.mail.kapsi.fi
Thu Jul 8 07:03:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 00:52 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm using a Seagate USB hard drive which is divided into 3 partitions, 2
> ext3 and one NTFS. There is new very weird behavior when it comes to
> directories in the /media folder.
>
> The partition names are:
> Ankur_backup, Stuff, NTFS Temp
>
> at times when I plug in my external HDD, the /media dir has
>
> Ankur_backup, Stuff, NTFS Temp (all empty)
>
> AND
>
> Ankur_backup_ , Stuff_ , NTFS Temp_ ( with the files in them)

I ran into the same issue earlier today, with a usb hdd (single ext4
partition), a usb stick (two ext4 partitions plus a pseudo cd-drive) and
my phone (single fat partition).

Trying to reproduce this, I plugged all the devices in and then safely
removed them, but /media was cleared properly. I then replugged the usb
stick and just yanked it out without unmounting the partitions, this
resulted in one of the partitions being left in /media, "New Volume2".
Replugging the stick, /media has "U3 System", "New Volume", "New
Volume2_" and the dead "New Volume2".

Still, I don't know what caused it to originally happen on all the
devices, since they were safely removed and I really don't remember this
having happened before.