reporting bugs upstream : nothing on the wiki?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 19:32:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 19:21 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> It's packager/maintainer duty to be the bridge between upstream
> bugzilla and ours.
>
> It cant be expected nor required of either triagers and or reporters to
> create account and familiar themselves with upstream bugzilla and
> procedures and to even suggest that is simply ludicrous.

Why is it "simply ludicrous"? It only needs following simple
instructions. You don't really need to learn anything for this. I'm not
asking $grandma to do it, but there are quite a few computer savy folks
who wouldn't have much of a problem doing this. I'm suggesting
encouraging these folks to be mini contributors in this way. I see no
downside here.

> Those packagers that are simply to lazy to obey this should move to
> another distro or their component be removed from bugzilla to avoid
> unnecessary confusion, burden and what not on the whole QA community.

That's no where to a solution. Please, constructive ideas would help.
You'll have to explain "unnecessary confusion, burden and what not on
the whole QA community". I got no clue what that refers to.

> FESCO needs to make it mandatory requirements of packagers to be that
> bridge for the components they maintain.
> JBG

It isn't always possible to do. I've seen the amount of bugs that
packages receive, bridging all of them to upstream isn't really possible
at times. Sometimes the maintainer/up stream cannot reproduce the bug.
How is he supposed to work in this case? "Oh! I'll fix it when it
happens to me"?

regards,
Ankur