Proven testers instructions update: feedback on unfamiliar packages

Adam Williamson awilliam at
Thu Jul 15 04:18:31 UTC 2010

Hi, everyone. Quick note for proven testers. I've just had a note from a
maintainer, and I've slightly updated the proven tester instructions for
packages with which the tester is unfamiliar:

Basically, it's really only useful to file a comment saying that you
aren't familiar with the package but it didn't break critical path *when
it's a critical path update*. This isn't usually useful for non-critical
path updates, because it'd be quite unlikely that they'd break the
critical path, and usually it just turns out to be a useless comment:
saying that an update to, say, Asian keyboard layouts doesn't break the
critical path if you don't use an Asian keyboard layout isn't very
useful information to anyone :)

So yep, just a minor change, usually don't post feedback on a package
you're unfamiliar with if it's not a critical path update.

Thanks everyone!