reporting bugs upstream : nothing on the wiki?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Thu Jul 15 05:03:50 UTC 2010

  On 07/14/2010 06:25 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> I'm not making assumptions here.
But then you go on to do exactly that:
> Bugzillas are designed to be easy to
> use for new reporters (at least that's the way I think of them). I'm
> sure upstream will not use "a bugzilla that takes several hours to file
> a bug report."
There are many, many computer users for whom bugzillas are not, and
never will be, easy to use.

One point I think Jóhann is trying to make is that there are many Fedora
package maintainers who are too quick to upstream and close tickets, and
he is concerned that if we produce documentation and guidelines
emphasizing upstreaming over Fedora taking ownership of issues and
getting them resolved, the problem will get worse.

Another point I think he's trying to make is that each time a Fedora
package maintainers upstreams and closes a ticket, it damages Fedora's
reputation. True, the damage from each individual incident could be
quite small, but it all adds up.

I think what Jóhann is hoping for, and I am hoping for it as well, is
that you go into what you are doing with your eyes open to these issues.
If the effort you are embarking on is not done carefully and properly,
there's a good chance that the negative side-effects, in terms of
increasing the amount of inappropriate upstreaming, will outweigh any
benefit.

   jik