Mouse button stops working?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Jul 18 08:18:57 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 00:44 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> > I'm running F13 with updates-testing enabled. In the last two days, my
> > left mouse button has suddenly stopped working on two separate
> > occasions. I don't know what caused it and the only way I was able to
> > find to fix it was to kill my gnome-session and thus log out and log
> > back in with a fresh X server. Switching VT's and back didn't help.
> >
> > Has anybody else seen anything like this recently?
>
> I had something similar once - my left button was actually acting as if
> ctrl was held down permanently, it was drag-selecting text in Evolution
> when I moved it, and clicking did nothing in any app. Reboot fixed it,
> haven't seen it again since.

It's now happened three times since I wrote that mail, and it's starting
to get rather annoying.

I realized that it's not exactly acting as if ctrl or shift is held
down, though - it's acting exactly as if the left mouse button is held
down. Now I've realized that, next time it happens, I'll try unplugging
and replugging the mouse.

It's even possible it's just my mouse acting up. It's six years old
now...