f-e-k improvement discussion continued

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 16:45:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 09:02 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > A shebang is one of those bits at the start of a script that looks like
> > this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > which tells the system what shell the script is supposed to be run with.
> > The shebang is the #! part. The # is the 'she', the ! is the 'bang'.
>
> I believe it's "shabang", with the "#" being the musical notation for
> "sharp".  Some other names for it are "hash" and Americans sometime
> call it a "pound sign" (yes, I'm an American).

Wikipedia doesn't list shabang as a current usage -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_%28Unix%29 - but refers to it
historically, though I'd never seen that before. It wouldn't be called
just 'hash', either - it'd be 'hashbang'. ('Hash' is a British English
term for the character # alone, hence hashbang for #!).

Google Fight? 708,000 for 'shebang', 127,000 for 'shabang'. :) Although
it seems most of those results refer to the non-techy meaning(s) of the
word(s).
http://www.happyassassin.net